This is a bilevel machine which differs from a CPAP in that it switches back and forth between two pressure levels, one higher and one lower, rather than providing one continuous pressure level. The pressure upon inhalation is higher to hold the airway open, but as the user exhales, the pressure drops to a preset lower level. A bilevel machine responds well to people with very high CPAP pressure needs, weak chest wall muscles, lung disease or other health problems that keep them from being able to exhale against a CPAP pressure.
Bilevel is the generic term to describe these machines. BiPAP, for Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure, is registered with Respironics; ResMed uses VPAP for Variable Positive Airway Pressure.
The Respironics BiPAP Plus Bilevel machine includes the following features:
- Digital Auto-Trak Sensitivity technology adjusts the cycle between inspiratory and expiratory pressures to match an individual’s breathing rhythm.
- Automatic start and stop operation.
- Mask off alarm.
- Mask leak compensation.
- Automatic altitude compensation adjustment.
- International power supply to operate on any AC current from 110 to 240 without adjustment to the machine. (An adapter may be needed to plug the CPAP into a wall outlet outside the US.)
- Direct DC operation without the need for a DC/AC inverter, just a cable and adapter which are sold separately.
- Two washable, reusable pollen filters are included, as well as one optional ultra-fine filter.
- Two year manufacturer warranty against defects.