The next generation in the popular line of “BiPAP Auto” machines by Philips Respironics is the PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto. Adding to the list of established features, the 60 Series BiPAP Auto offers a new level of therapy comfort with the OPTIONAL System One 60 Series Heated Humidifier with Heated Tube. The enhanced humidification system considers the ambient humidity in the room to provide the desired therapy humidification without suffering rainout.
The PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto combines the proven comfort and therapy effectiveness found in the PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex with the leading edge advancements in humidification offered with the optional System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube. This is an auto-titrating BiLevel machine that delivers two separate pressures that are adjusted throughout use, one for inhalation and one for exhalation.
- System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube – Optional
- Bi-Flex Pressure Relief
- System One Resistance Control
- Advanced Event Detection
- On Screen Data Display
System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube
The optional System One 60 Series Heated Tube Humidifier with Heated Tube has been redesigned to increase surface area for greater humidification output. The humidifier comes packaged with the Heated Tube which easily snaps on and off the humidifier port.
By adding the Heated Tube option to their breakthrough System One Humidity System, Philips Respironics has maximized comfort while managing rainout and potential water damage. The level of relative humidity delivered to the mask is adjusted by analyzing the ambient room temperature and machine airflow. The slim 15mm Heated Tube maintains the desired temperature evenly from the machine to the mask.
Use the on-screen menu to select one of three available levels of relative humidity (70, 80 or 90 percent). Next, adjust the control dial to choose from 5 levels of heated tube temperature, ranging from 4 to 16 degrees above room temperature. The optimum humidification level at the mask is easy to maintain when using this humidification assembly.
The System One Dry Box technology reduces the chance of water damage to the CPAP. Unique design features prevent water from exiting the chamber and entering the machine. The center air outlet port uses a one way valve. This location on the top of the chamber helps to minimize total water displacement. If water were to escape the chamber it is trapped by the Dry Box.
Bi-Flex Family Technology
Flex Technology is designed to enhance traditional BiPAP therapy by maintaining effective therapy at comfortable pressures. A user who is new to BiPAP equipment will find that Flex Technology makes adapting to therapy easier than when using a typical BiPAP machines. The natural breath-by-breath patterns enhances traditional therapy and improves compliance.
Bi-Flex makes the breathing cycle feel natural and comfortable. Flex Technology allows the System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto to track each breath and provide pressure relief during three critical points in the breathing cycle. Pressure is reduced by .5 increments during the transition from exhalation to inhalation, inhalation to exhalation and during exhalation.The Bi-Flex setting can be adjusted up to 1.5 H20 for maximum comfort.
System One Resistance Control
Phillips Respironics developed System One Resistance Control which allows their machines to reach optimal pressure by using a numbering system that lets the CPAP device recognize the mask that is used with treatment. It achieves accuracy and reliability by instructing the device to compensate for the specific mask type.
Advanced Event Detection and Response
Digital Auto-Trak Sensitivity is the brains behind Respironics’ Flex Technology. A patented algorithm monitors breathing patterns and responds to abnormal pressure changes. The Auto-Trak system measures variable triggers and cycle thresholds, adjusted pressure automatically to provide effective sleep therapy.
The System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto is designed to identify and respond to symptoms beyond classic OSA parameters such as AHI and flow limitations. With the PR system, detection is expanded to include data on Snoring, Periodic Breathing and Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals (RERAs). Along with digital Auto-Trak Sensitivity and Flex Technology, the System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto can detect the breathing cycle and deliver comfortable pressures proactively.
Advanced event detection and response includes:
- Periodic Breathing
- Clear airway apnea
- Obstructed airway apnea
- Flow limitation
- Vibratory snore
- Large leak
The System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto not only detects these events, the REMstar Auto algorithm responds by automatically adjusting pressure levels to clear the apnea. Within a few seconds of recorded flow reduction, the PR BiPAP Auto pulses a series of pressures to determine if the apnea has been cleared. System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto responses include:
- Proactive Performance manages events in the early stages of flow limitation, which leads up to an actual obstruction or apnea. The Auto algorithm uses two airflow measurements to prevent pressures from becoming too high: (‘P’ Critical and ‘P’ Optimal).
- Leak Management is a comparison of average leak rate and the expected leak from a CPAP mask. Encore records significant losses above the expected leak rate as ‘Large Leak’ events and the BiPAP Auto reduces therapy pressure to re-establish the mask seal, preventing false apneas.
- Obstructive Apnea is defined as events that reduce 80% of airflow for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- Hypopnea is defined as events that reduce 40% of airflow for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- Flow Limitation is measured through four different baselines of the breathing waveform: Roundness, Flatness, Peak, and Shape. Most other BiPAPs only take into account Flatness and Shape.
- Snore or snoring can sometimes imitate a hypopnea event. Advanced detection allows the PR BiPAP Auto to measure vibrations and partial airway occlusions.
- RERAs differ from a Hypopnea or snoring event in that a RERA shows increasing respiratory effort with each breath, culminating in a shift in brain wave activity and not necessarily a result of obstruction. Periodic breathing conditions such as Cheyne-Stokes respiration and central apneas are distinguishable from obstructed apnea or snoring events.
- SmartRamp helps manage apnea events while users attempt to fall asleep. Unlike other BiPAPs, the PR BiPAP Auto can react to an event during Ramp Time.
On Screen Data
Sleep data is available on the display screen of the 60 Series Pro. See the Apnea/Hypopnea Index, leak rate as well as the 7 and 30 day average pressure readings. Data is stored in both an on-board memory and a generic SD memory card.
Important Compatibility Note
The PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto can only be used with the optional 60 Series Heated Humidifier. The optional Heated Tube CANNOT BE used with any other PR System One machines and humidifiers. The external power supply used by a 60 Series system IS NOT compatible with other units in the Philips Respironics line of products.
The REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto is not compatible with earlier versions of the PR System One Heated Humidifier.
Further the Heated Humidifier and Heated Tube that interface with the PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto is not compatible with the PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex or any other machines in the PR System One product line.
The 60 Series machines and humidifiers cannot physically be attached to earlier versions in the Philips Respironics line of products.
See the Important Tips tab on this product page for further information.